Sandia grew out of America’s World War II effort to develop the first atomic bombs. Today, keeping the U.S. nuclear stockpile safe, secure, and effective is a major part of Sandia’s work as a multidisciplinary, national security, engineering laboratory. But Sandia’s role has evolved to address the additional complex threats facing our country.
» Download (PDF, 4 MB)
Corporate fact sheets
- By the Numbers (PDF, 2.8 MB)
Sandia’s people, locations and funding by the numbers.
- Climate Security Research (PDF, 1.6 MB)
Enhancing the nation’s understanding of global climate change, its risk, and options to lessen the consequences.
- Contract History (PDF, 2.63 MB)
The government manages and operates Sandia and the other national laboratories using a government-owned, contractor-operated model.
- Cybersecurity (PDF, 813 KB)
Applying decades of science and engineering expertise to defending the nation against cyber threats.
- Explosive Technologies Group (PDF, 2.3 MB)
Responsible for essential NNSA and Department of Defense arming, fuzing and firing functions for the U.S. Nuclear Deterrent.
- Facilities: Building on Success (PDF, 757 KB)
Sandia facilities meet diverse needs for national security, research and partnerships.
- High-Performance Computing (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Sandia supercomputer research is solving real-world problems today, and reaching for exascale performance tomorrow.
- History Highlights (PDF, 592 KB)
A history of exceptional service in the national interest.
- National Security Programs (PDF, 2 MB)
Developing innovative technological solutions to solve the toughest national security problems.
- Neutron Generator Enterprise (PDF, 2.1 MB)
Responsible for the entire NG lifecycle, from scientific understanding through design and development, qualification, production, surveillance, dismantlement and disposal.
- Nonproliferation and Arms Control (PDF, 1.5 MB)
Top priority must be given to discouraging additional countries from acquiring nuclear weapons capabilities and stopping terrorist groups from acquiring nuclear bombs or the materials to build them.
- Nuclear Deterrence Mission (PDF, 1.8 MB)
Ensuring that the nation’s stockpile is safe, secure and effective, and that it meets military requirements.
- Powering the Future (PDF, 1.8 MB)
As demand for energy grows worldwide, discovering and harnessing domestic energy sources is increasingly important to national security.
- Power Sources Technology Group (PDF, 1.7 MB)
Ensuring safe and reliable power source capabilities, safeguarding national security and stockpile sustainment and providing the heartbeat of all NNSA-directed weapon systems.
- Science and Technology (PDF, 902 KB)
Pushing the frontiers of knowledge to meet the nation’s needs, today and tomorrow.
- Sustainable Transportation (PDF, 608 KB)
Sandia and industry partners transform transportation to meet future demand.
- Technology in Space (PDF, 1.6 MB)
Sandia-developed satellites, engineering and materials contribute to U.S. space exploration.